Dhaka Medical College and Hospital (DMCH) is a medical college and hospital located in Dhaka, the capital city of Bangladesh. It is situated in the Bakshibazar area of the city, close to the University of Dhaka and the Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology.
The college's original building was built before the Partition of Bengal of 1905; being used, as of 1904, as the secretariat (headquarters) of the newly formed provinces of East Bengal and Assam; then, in 1921, turned over to the University of Dhaka, which was founded that year. At that time a part of the huge building was used as the university's medical center, another part as the students' dormitory and the rest as the office of the administrative wing of the Arts faculty.
In 1939, the Dhaka university council requested that the British Government establish a separate medical college in Dhaka. The proposal was postponed because of the onset of the Second World War.
During World War II the medical center building became an American armed forces hospital. The Americans vacated the building at the end of the war.
Finally, Dhaka Medical College was established in 1946, and the college began admitting students. Academic classes started on 10 July which is celebrated as "DMC DAY". The 1st year, beginning class, or "Batch", was named K-5, 2nd year K-4, 3rd year K-3, 4th year K-2, and 5th year K-1. All the advanced students (K-4 through K-1) had transferred from the Calcutta Medical College, in large part because of the partition of India.
At first there were no female students, but now about half of the students are females.
Major W. J. Virgin, the head of the committee formed to establish the Dhaka Medical College, was the first principal. In the beginning there were only four departments – medicine, surgery, gynecology and otolaryngology (ENT). Since the college did not initially have anatomy or physiology departments, the students at first attended those classes at Mitford Medical School (now the Sir Salimullah Medical College); but, after a month, Professor of Anatomy Pashupati Basuand and Professor of Physiology Hiralal Saha joined the staff and their specialties were taught in ward no. 22 of the hospital.
There was no lecture hall nor dissection gallery at first. These needs were met after the construction of new academic buildings in 1955. The college did not have any student housing. Male students were allowed to reside in the Dhaka University's student halls, but female students did not have the use of that facility. The college and hospital premises were expanded with temporary sheds, some of which were built for outdoor services of the hospital and some for student housing. New buildings for housing, college, and hospital were constructed in phases: a dormitory for girls in 1952, a dormitory for male students in 1954–55, a new complex of academic buildings in 1955, and a dormitory for internee doctors in 1974–75. A new academic and hospital building, adding 500 beds, Dhaka Medical College Hospital-2 (DMCH-2), was inaugurated by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on 3 October 2013.
Mymensingh Medical College (is a government medical school in Bangladesh, established in 1924. It is located in the Mymensingh District of the Mymensingh Division.
Mymensingh Medical Journal, which is Index Medicus/MEDLINE listed, is the official journal of Mymensingh Medical College.
During the later part of British India, it was felt that the people of the northeastern region needed the services of qualified medical personnel. The then Campbell Medical School of Calcutta and Mitford Medical School of Dhaka were unable to cater the needs of the growing population. With this background the third medical school for the region, was established in 1924 in Mymensingh, by the Earl of Lytton, the then governor of Bengal. The Lytton Medical School was to run a four-year course of Licentiate of Medical Faculty (LMF). This course of LMF continued till 1962, when it was upgraded to a five-year undergraduate medical course under Dhaka University and the school was renamed as Mymensingh Medical College.
Chittagong Medical College (also known as CMC) is situated in the port city of Chittagong, Bangladesh and is the oldest medical college in the south-eastern part of the country. It is affiliated with a tertiary level hospital where clinical students are trained in Medicine, Surgery, Obs & Gynae and other sub-specialties. Currently, students from Bhutan, India, Iran, Malaysia, Nepal, Palestine, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka are studying in various phases of MBBS course alongside the native students.
Chittagong Medical College Hospital was established at the present site in 1960 with only 120 beds and the outpatient services. At that time the young hospital housed only the Departments of Surgery and Gynecology and Obstetrics. Chittagong Hospital Housed the department of Medicine and allied specialties still 1969 and thereafter it remained affiliated with Chittagong Medical College Hospital as one of its teaching hospitals.
Construction of the present purpose-built six-storied CMCH was completed in 1969, which now accommodates all the clinical Departments including all their subspecialties. The hospital, which had a capacity of 500 beds initially, gradually increased its strength to 750 and finally to 1000. It runs big outpatient departments in the specialties like Medicine, Paediatrics, Psychiatry, skin and venereal diseases, Clinical Pathology, General surgery, Otorhinolaryngology, Paediatric Surgery, Ophthalmology, Obstetrics, Gynaecology, Radiotherapy, Radiology and Dentistry with an average turnover in excess of 2000 a day. The independent turnover in 1999 was about 50,000. Over 18,000 surgical operations were performed that year.
As years passed, new treatment facilities kept being added and at present a Nuclear medicine Centre for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes, a Coronary care unit, an endoscopy Unit, a kidney dialyzing unit, a Model Family Planning Centre, a Centre for Extended Program for Immunisation (EPI) are among the many facilities available to the in- and outpatients
Official opening of Chittagong Medical College, 20 September 1957
Maiden Principal Professor Altaf Uddin Ahmed, Minister of Health and Social Welfare (East Pakistan) Dhirendranath Datta, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, Prime Minister Huseyn Shaheed Suhrawardy, District Magistrate MA Rashid, Police Super, Central Health Minister Zahirudddin (left to right) was present during the inauguration ceremony of Chittagong Medical College, 20 September 1957
Rajshahi Medical College is a government medical school in Bangladesh, established in 1958. It is located in Rajshahi. It is affiliated with Rajshahi University.
It was the second such institution in erstwhile East Pakistan after Dhaka Medical College. It has a large hospital that is the central provider for advanced health care in the northern part of Bangladesh.
Rajshahi Medical College admits 200 students every year for its MBBS program. Its dental unit admits a further 50 students. Students are admitted in these programs after high school and get a degree after 5 years of study and 1-year internship in the government-owned public hospital.
After the separation of East Bengal from India in 1947 the people of Rajshahi region were deprived of medical education and healthcare facilities. In 1949 some renowned persons of civil society and political persons involved in administration took initiative to establish a private medical school in Rajshahi city. Initially they launched LMF diploma course under State Medical Faculty Dhaka. Eighty students were admitted in the first batch. In 1954, erstwhile Pakistan government converted it to government medical college. In 1958, It was launched as a complete college. It is the first medical college in northern part of Bangladesh
The first head of department of Anatomy and Physiology were respectively Lieutenant Colonel Gias Uddin Ahmed who was the first principal of this college and Professor Dr. Nayeb Ali. There were 43 students in the first batch including 2 female students and only 5 college staffs. The college and hospital premises are set up on 90 acres of land. The three storied 530 bed hospital was built in 1965 which included medicine, surgery and gynaecology-obstetrics Department. This hospital premises stands on 60 acres of land which was agricultural farm before. 20 bed Infectious disease hospital, leprosy control centre and 150 bed Sadar hospital were affiliated with this hospital. Henceforth, Sadar hospital was converted to dental unit. At present MBBS, BDS and postgraduate course on different subjects are running in this college. BDS course was launched in 1992 and postgraduate course in 1998. General Medical Council of Great Britain recognised this medical college on 1 July, 1992. Many doctors and students of this college participated in independence war of Bangladesh in 1971. A Shahid Minar was built in front of administrative building in 1974.
Sher-e-Bangla Medical College (SBMC) is a government medical school in Bangladesh, established in 1968. It is located in Barisal. It is affiliated with University of Dhaka as a constituent college
Construction began on the college on 6 November 1964, at which time it was known as Barisal Medical College. It opened to students in 1968 and was soon renamed to its current title, bestowed in honor of former prime minister A. K. Fazlul Huq., a resident of Barisal, was often called by the phrase "Sher-e-Bangla", which translates from Urdu to "Tiger of Bengal".
The Khulna Medical College (KMC) (Bengali: খুলনা মেডিকেল কলেজ) is a teaching facility within the Khulna Medical College and Hospital that was established in 1992 in Bangladesh. It is located in the city of Khulna, near the inter-district Bus Stand at the entrance to the city.
Khulna Medical College was established in 1992. With only a few students and little infrastructure initially, KMC began training undergraduate students. Post-graduate training was also given at the College. The College is affiliated to the Bangladesh College of Physicians and Surgeons. Facilities for academics, research and residency are available. Some students from the institution have already completed post-graduate degrees in various fields. The current principal is Professor Sudhangshu Kumar Ballav
The academic building, adjacent to the hospital, is a four-story building which houses both administrative and academic sections: administration, students' areas, and office of the Principal. For educational purposes, there are classrooms, galleries, a library, and an audio-visual unit. There are four large galleries for combined classes and six student residences, along with quarters for staff and officers of the college and hospital.
Khulna Medical College is affiliated with University of Rajshahi.
Prospective students take an admission test conducted by the Ministry of Health. Students selected are then admitted on the basis of their choice. The students receive a MBBS degree from University of Rajshahi after the completion of their fifth year and after passing the final Professional MBBS examination. This college is directly regulated by Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council, an affiliate of the Bangladesh Ministry of Health.
Shaheed Ziaur Rahman Medical College is a government medical school in Bangladesh, established in 1992. It is located in Bogra town. It is affiliated with the University of Rajshahi.
It has a 5-year medical education course leading to an MBBS. One-year internship after graduation is compulsory for all graduates. The degree is recognised by the Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council
Shaheed Ziaur Rahman Medical College was established in 1992. At first, it was started as a medical college collaborating with Mohammad Ali Hospital, Bogra. In 2006, a brand new hospital and college campus was constructed on the outskirts of Bogra city, beside the Dhaka-Rangpur highway, named on the basis of Shaheed President Ziaur Rahmanwho was born at Bogra. On 31 August 2006, the new campus at Silimpur started its journey. Previously about 50 students could get the chance to study there through nationwide examination for admission to public medical colleges of the country every year. From 2005, the numbers increased to about 150.
The principal is the administrative head of the institution. The other sanctioned posts for faculty and staff members are one Vice-Principal, 16 Professors, 19 Associate Professors, 14 Assistant Professors, 2 Curators, 42 Lecturers, 2 Pathologists, one Biochemist, and one Pharmacist.
In addition to one Health Educator and one Secretary/ Administrative Officer, there are about 161 technicians, laboratory assistants and auxiliary staff to run the administrative and academic programmes of the college.There are 2 boy's hall, 2 lady's hall,a big playground,a volleyball court,a badminton court, a beautiful mosque & a college building attached canteen for the students.Every year about 2-5 students of this college take place in various professional examinations under Rajshahi university.The current principal is Professor Dr.Ahsan Habib; (head ; dept. of community medicine).
A new dental unit will be opened here very soon.In 2017-18 session, the 27th batch will be admitted here. Every year many foreign students (from Pakistan, Bhutan, Nepal) come here to study MBBS. Already 21st batch has completed their course & started their internship. The institution has gifted the nation till about 1640 doctors. Many of them has become established doctors & turned into professors, associate professors, assistant professors, lecturers, registrars, teachers etc. It also provides post graduation degree such as Diploma in Anesthesiology(DA),Paediatrics(DCH),Orthopedics(D.Ortho),Cardiology(D.Card),ENT(DLO) etc. for MBBS doctors. 1 of the 3 cancer institutes of Bangladesh is situated in here.
To meet the growing needs of modern medicine, the government of East Pakistan established a medical college in Daph, Rangpur (on The property of Pandit family of Rangpur) in 1970 with a 500-bed teaching hospital. The first batch of 50 students were admitted to Rangpur Medical College, affiliated with Rajshahi University, in 1971. Currently, the yearly intake has been increased to one hundred and seventy five. 39th batch is doing intern duty. And most recent batch of 205 is 44nd.
Dinajpur Medical College (DjMC) is a government medical school in Bangladesh, established in 1992. It is located in the Dinajpur District of Rangpur Division. It is affiliated with Rajshahi University.
It offers five-year medical education course leading to MBBS. One-year internship after graduation is compulsory for all graduates. The degree is recognised by the Bangladesh Medical and Dental council.It also offers some postgraduate courses under BSMMU. Graduates of this medical college are eligible for USMLE, PLAB examination and the degree is recognised by WHO.
Dinajpur Medical College is listed in IMEDIn the year 1978–79 Bangladesh government planned to establish medical colleges at Bogra, Comilla, Dinajpur, Faridpur, Kushtia, Khulna, Noakhali and Pabna with a view to improve the healthcare services in the country. Keeping this view in mind in the year 1980–81 medical colleges were started functioning at Comilla, Khulna, Pabna and IPGMR (Dhaka). Subsequently, the programme was abandoned and the students were shifted to the established existing eight medical colleges.
In the year 1991–92 the government felt the need of establishment more medical colleges for medical education facilities in the country and thereby release the burden imposed on the existing medical colleges. Accordingly, the government made commitment to establish 5 new medical colleges at Dinajpur, Bogra, Khulna, Faridpur and Comilla. Thus 5 medical colleges had been established in 1999-91-year with annual intake of 50 students each medical college.
On 16 August 1992 Dinajpur Medical Colleges started functioning at Dinajpur main town occupying a hostel of general government college and a rented private building named 'Hamana Bhaban'. It was shifted to new building proper at Ananada Sagor area near Dinajpur main town on 1 July 2000. Dinajpur Sadar hospital was used as temporary medical college hospital. Medical college was started functioning in building proper in college campus on 7 March 2010.Now Dinajpur Medical College and Hospital is have excellent campus with annual intake of approximately 150 students.
To assist Asian students in studying abroad with Quality Education Options We strive to guide students with their decision for quality educational options abroad that will help them achieve their dreams. Our aim is to assist students achieve their best, professionally and personally.