University of Malaya Medical Centre (UMM) formerly known as University Hospital is a government-funded medical institution located in Pantai Dalam, southwest corner of Kuala Lumpur, the dynamic and bustling capital city of Malaysia. It was established by Statute in September 1962 and is part of University of Malaya
Shortly after the end of the Second World War, a commission was established under the Chairmanship of Sir Alexander Carr-Saunders to enquire into and make recommendations concerning university education in Malaya (Malaysia). The Commission arrived in March 1947, and after an intensive study recommended that the King Edward VII College of Medicine and Raffles College be almagated forthwith to form a University of Malaya. Accordingly, the University of Malaya was established in Singapore on 8 October 1949 as a national institution to serve the higher educational needs of the Federation of Malaya and of Singapore.
In 1957, a Commission of Enquiry was set up by the Governments of theFederation and of Singapore at the request of the University of Malaya to review the constitution, working and finances of the University in the light of the experience and rapid expansion of last seven years and of the prospective expansion in the near future, including the plan for developing the University in Kuala Lumpur, and to make recommendation. Arising from the Commission's Report and that of a Joint Constitutional Committee appointed by the two Governments, legislation was passed in November 1958 providing for the continuance of the University of Malaya as a single University, but with two largely autonomous divisions of equal status, one in each territory. This legislation came into effect in January 1958.
In 1960 the Government of the Federation of Malaya indicated that the Kuala Lumpur Division of the University of Malaya should become he national University in the Federation with effect from the beginning of the session 1962/63, and likewise the Singapore Government indicated that the Singapore Division should become the national University of Singapore. Steps to achieve the establishment of these two separate Universities were finalized during the year 1961 and the University of Malaya was established on 1 January 1962.
The University of Malaya is situated on a site of about 750 acres of land in Pantai Valley on the outskirts of Kuala Lumpur, a rapidly growing city of over half million inhabitants, the capital of Malaysia and near the geographical centre of the Peninsula. One outstanding feature of the University is its rapid growth and development.
The National University of Malaysia (abbreviation: UKM; Malay: Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia; abbreviated UKM is a public university located in Bangi, Selangor which is about 35 kilometers (22 mi) south of Kuala Lumpur. Its teaching hospital, Universities Kebangsaan Malaysia Medical Centre (UKMMC) Pusat Perubatan Universities Kebangsaan Malaysia (PPUKM) is located in Cheras and also has a branch campus in Kuala Lumpur. There are 17,500 undergraduate students enrolled, and 5,105 postgraduate students of which 1,368 are foreign students from 35 countries.
University Kebangsaan Malaysia is one of five research universities in the country. It was ranked number 259th in the world by QS World University Rankings in 2014. It is ranked 98th place in the 100 best new universities established within the last 50 years in the world. It is the only university from Malaysia that made it in the 2012 Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) Top 50 Universities under 50 Years Old list ranked in the 31st place. It placed 56th and 56th in the QS Top 500 Asian University Rankings in 2014 and 2015 respectively
University Kebangsaan Malaysia, the national university of Malaysia was born from the aspirations of the nationalists to uphold the Malay Language as a language of knowledge. The quest for a national university was suggested in 1923 by the writer Abdul Kadir Adabi as a move against British colonization. This nationalist tide galvanized Malay intellectuals of the time but met British suppression. The nationalists never wavered and in 1969 the movement again blossomed. A Sponsoring Committee chaired by Syed Nasir Ismail, a Malay intellectual, was set up to prepare a report recommending the establishment of UKM. Other prominent members of this committee include Dr. Mahathir Mohamed (Tun), Malaysia's fourth Prime Minister who was then the Education Minister, and Dr. Mohd Rashdan Haji Baba, who later became UKM's first Vice-Chancellor.
University Kebangsaan Malaysia opened its doors on 18 May 1970 to 192 undergraduate students in Jalan Pantai Baru, Kuala Lumpur, a temporary campus housing three main faculties, the Faculties of Science, Arts and Islamic Studies. In October 1977, UKM moved to its present premises which form the main campus in Bangi. The campus has a size of 1,096 hectares (2,710 acres), situated in the metropolis encompassing the Kuala Lumpur International Airport, Kuala Lumpur, the main commercial centre, and Putrajaya, the administrative capital. The UKM Bangi Campus is 45 km (28 mi) from KLIA, 30 km (19 mi) from Kuala Lumpur and 20 km (12 mi) from Putrajaya.
UKM has two health campuses, the Kuala Lumpur campus in Jalan Raja Muda Abdul Aziz, and the UKM Medical Centre in Cheras. The Kuala Lumpur campus consists of the Faculties of Health Sciences, Pharmacy, Dentistry and the Pre-Clinical Departments of the Medical Faculty. With a size of 20 hectares (49 acres), the Kuala Lumpur campus was established in 1974.
The campus in Cheras consists of the Medical Faculty, the UKM Teaching Hospital and the UKM Medical Molecular Biology Institute (UMBI). The Cheras campus was opened in 1997. Besides these campuses, UKM operates seven research stations (RS); The Tasik Chini RS, The Marine Ecosystem RS, The Langkawi Geopark RS, The Marine RS, The Fraser's Hill RS, The Plant Biotechnology RS and in the main campus itself, the UKM Campus Living Laboratory, which comprises the UKM Permanent Forest Reserve, or its Malay name, Hutan Simpan Kekal UKM as well as the Fernarium and the Herbarium.
Based on a foundation of 30 years of research, UKM was awarded the status of a Malaysian Research University in October 2006 by the Ministry of Higher Education, a move designed to propel the four public universities into leading research universities in line with the Higher Education Strategic Plan 2007–2020.
The year 2006 also saw UKM winning the Prime Minister's Quality Award. This award vindicates UKM's efforts at quality education and management, as outlined by the objectives of the UKM Strategic Plan 2000–2020 (PS2020). The Strategic Plan has been augmented by the newly unveiled UKM Knowledge Ecosystem Transformation Plan, a transformation set to catapult UKM into the league of leading research universities by 2018
University Putra Malaysia (formally known as University Pertanian Malaysia or College of Agriculture Malaya or School of Agriculture), or UPM, is recognised by the independent government assessments as one of Malaysia's leading research Universities.
Founded in 1931 as the School of Agriculture, UPM's main campus is located in central Peninsular Malaysia, close to the capital city, Kuala Lumpur and next to Malaysia’s administrative capital city, Putrajaya. It was formerly known as University Pertanian Malaysia or Agricultural University of Malaysia. UPM is a research university offering undergraduate and postgraduate courses with a research focus on agricultural sciences and its related fields. It was ranked as the joint 376th best university in the world in 2014 by Quacquarelli Symonds.
On 2015, UPM was ranked 45th in Best Global Universities for Agricultural Sciences of U.S. News & World Report College and University Ranking The School of Agriculture was officially instituted on 21 May 1931 by John Scott, an administrative officer of the British colonial Straits Settlements. The school was located on a 22-acre piece of land in Serdang and offered two programmes - a three-year diploma programme and a one-year certificate course in Agriculture.
In 1947, the school was declared the College of Agriculture Malaya by Sir Edward Gent, the then Governor of the Malayan Union. The establishment of University Pertanian Malaysia came about when the College of Agriculture in Serdang merged with the Faculty of Agriculture, University of Malaya. Dr. Mohd. Rashdan bin Haji Baba, the then principal of the College of Agriculture Malaya, was appointed as the first Vice-Chancellor by virtue of the provisions of Section 18 of the Universities and University Colleges Act, 1971. With the first intake of 1,559 students, University Pertanian Malaysia had its first academic session in July 1973 in the three central faculties and one basic division: the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences, Faculty of Forestry, Faculty of Agriculture, and a Division of Foundation Studies.
In the early 80s, UPM extended its area of studies to include the field of Science and Technology (S&T). In 1997, the name University Pertanian Malaysia was changed to University Putra Malaysia by former Prime Minister, Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohammad, as a strategic gesture to portray the status of UPM as a centre of higher education capable of providing various fields of studies, especially in science and information technology, which facilitate national development in the new millennium
University Malaysia Sarawak (English: University of Malaysia, Sarawak) or UNIMAS was officially incorporated on 24 December 1992. UNIMAS is Malaysia's eighth public university, established just after the declaration of Vision 2020. Recently, UNIMAS has been ranked at 165th in Asian University Rankings 2011 by QS World University Rankings.
The University took in its first students numbering 118 in 1993 with the opening of the Faculty of Social Sciences and Faculty of Resource Science and Technology. These students were temporarily located at Kolej Latihan Telekom, Simpang Tiga, Kuching until 1994 when the University moved to its East Campus in Kota Samarahan, Sarawak. The University’s East Campus at Kota Samarahan was officially launched by the Prime Minister, YAB Dato’ Seri Dr. Mahathir Mohamad on Independence Day, 31 August 1993.
At present, the University consists of eight Faculties, three Institutes and seven Centers. UNIMAS was awarded MS ISO 9001: 2008 quality certificate by SIRIM QAS International Sdn. Bhd. and IQNet on 13 May 2010 for its core management process at Undergraduate Studies Division (BPPs) and Centre for Academic Information Services (CAIS).
UNIMAS has implemented and maintains an Information Security Management System (ISMS) which fulfills the requirement of ISO/IEC 27001:2005 and MS ISO/IEC 27001:2007 standards. The scope covers the areas for the management of UNIMAS Data Centre covering equipment, system software, database and operating systems for the university's critical applications. The certification was issued to UNIMAS on 27 September 2013.
An international competition was held for the masterplan design of the West Campus. The winning design was by Peter Verity (PDRc) the international architect, who after detailed environmental analysis chose the site for the West Campus. The objective of the plan was to create an environmentally sustainable urban campus which, in the manner of Louvain-la-Neuve, would form the centre of a significant university new town. The interface between the fresh water and saltwater systems of the site are expected to give the opportunity to create a biodiversity of considerable richness
The opening of the new West Campus by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Haji Ahmad Badawi on 18 April 2006 was witnessed by 10,000 students, staff and members of the public the event was also broadcast live over RTM1.
University Malaysia Sabah (English: Malaysian University of Sabah) or UMS is the ninth Malaysian public university located in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia, established on 24 November 1994. His Majesty the Yang di-Pertuan Agong proclaimed the establishment of UMS under Section 6(1) of the Universities and University Colleges Act 1971.
The first UMS campus was sited at the site of the then Sabah Foundation Community College, KKYS (now University College Sabah Foundation, UCSF) on their grounds. The first intake consisted of 205 undergraduates, with its residences located just beside the football field, on the compound of Yayasan Sabah.
Initially, the university management office operated at the Malaysian Ministry of Education in Kuala Lumpur. It shifted to Kota Kinabalu in 1995.
On August of the same year, physical development began to take place on a 999-acre (4 km²) land, located at the northern part of Kota Kinabalu City. The first phase of its construction was completed in 2000.
UMS opened an International Campus in Labuan in 1999, and an Agriculture Campus at Sandakan in 2011.
Before June 2014, there were 13 schools and nine research institutes in UMS. Starting 1 July 2014, the restructuring of 13 existing schools into 10 faculties has been done in line with the academic transformation in conjunction with the 20th anniversary of University Malaysia Sabah (UMS)
The International Medical University (IMU) is a private, English language, health sciences university in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and Malaysia's leading private medical and healthcare university. It was established in 1992, and is active in research and teaching within medicine and healthcare with a strong international orientation. IMU is a wholly owned subsidiary of Asia's largest private healthcare group IHH Healthcare, which is majority-owned by the Malaysian government's sovereign wealth fund, Khazanah. The current CEO of IMU is Abdul Aziz Baba.
IMU was the first private higher education institution in Malaysia that received the right to confer academic degrees, and it was granted full university status by the government in 1999.It cooperates with universities in the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, the United States, Canada, Ireland and China.
The main campus of IMU is located in Bukit Jalil, Kuala Lumpur.As of 2017, the university has 21,973 students across its various programmes.
The university offers a range of undergraduate programmes in medical and health sciences: Medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, pharmaceutical chemistry, nursing, nursing science, dietetics with nutrition, nutrition, psychology, biomedical science, medical biotechnology, chiropractic, Chinese medicine as well as postgraduate degrees such as MSc and PhD in Medical and Health Sciences, MSc in Public Health, MSc in Analytical and Pharmaceutical Chemistry and MSc in Molecular Medicine.
Penang Medical College (PMC) is a private, Malaysian campus of two world-renowned medical universities in Ireland, the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RCSI) and University College Dublin (UCD) medical college situated in Penang, Malaysia.
The President and CEO of PMC is Prof Stephen Doughty. The Dean is Prof Mr. Premnath Nag lingam 20th Anniversary: Penang Medical College (PMC) founded in 1996 at the request of the Penang State Government celebrated its 20th anniversary this year. Located in George Town, PMC is wholly owned by its founders, the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RCSI) and University College Dublin (UCD), joint 1st ranked Universities in Ireland (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2016).
Transnational Education, New Programmes: Originally established to train medical students, PMC has now graduated over 1500 doctors with the globally recognised degrees MB, BCh, BAO of the National University of Ireland (NUI). The PMC programme is delivered transnationally, students completing their pre-clinical training at either RCSI or UCD and their clinical training in PMC and its teaching hospitals.
This combines state-of-the-art biomedicine facilities in Dublin and excellent clinical training in Penang. Not surprisingly PMC graduates hold senior positions in Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Ireland, UK, Australia, New Zealand, USA and elsewhere. PMC now provides postgraduate courses leading to NUI MSc degrees in Health Research and in Public Health as well as foundation studies. More programmes and subject areas are under development.
High Quality Research: PMC fully recognises the importance of research, its value to society, its synergy with teaching and its enrichment of the curriculum. It carries out internationally recognised research in areas such as diabetes mellitus; respiratory illnesses; community health amongst the underprivileged; generation and use of evidence in healthcare; medical education and others. PMC is the coordinating centre for The Malaysian Cochrane Network, part of a worldwide group which systematically organises research information to guide stakeholders’ choices.
A Bright Future, New President: PMC’s future is highly promising. Its strategy emphasises growth through educational excellence, impactful research, building strategic partnerships, engaging with communities and enhancing governance and management. It also aims to be the first Foreign University Branch Campus in Pulau Pinang. It recently appointed its 4th President, Professor Stephen Doughty to lead the way to a very bright future for PMC as the leading medical and healthcare focused education institution in Penang .
The International Islamic University Malaysia (Arabic: الجامعة الإسلامية العالمية بماليزيا; Malay: Universiti Islam Antarabangsa Malaysia), also known as IIUM or UIAM, is a public university in Malaysia. Its main campus is located in Gombak, Selangor with its Centre for Foundation Studies situated in Petaling Jaya and Gambang, Pahang and its medical-centric branch in Kuantan, Pahang. IIUM also has two city campuses in Kuala Lumpur and will be opening a new campus in Bandar University Pagoh. The university is sponsored by eight governments from the Organisation of the Islamic Conference (OIC). It is distinct from the International Islamic University Islamabad, Pakistan and International Islamic University Chittagong in Chittagong, Bangladesh.
The university was established on 23 May 1983 and founded upon Islamic principles. Islamic values are inculcated into all disciplines. IIUM offers bachelor, master's degree and PhD courses at its 14 faculties, also known as kulliyyah.
Since 1987, there have been 60,785 graduates and postgraduates who have completed their studies at the IIUM. Out of this, 53,241 were from Malaysia whereas 7,530 were international students.
Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad conceived of the idea for an international institution of Islamic education in 1982 during a meeting between OIC leaders about the Islamization of knowledge. The idea was then shared with the then Minister of Education, Dr. Sulaiman Daud; the Director-General of Education, Murad Mohamed nor and two other persons. Dr. Mohamed Kamal Hassan, then of the National University of Malaysia along with a senior academic official, who attended the meeting, produced the first working paper on the concept of the university
IIUM was officially established on 23 May 1983, by virtue of Section 5A (2) of the Universities and University Colleges Act 1971, when the University received its Establishment Order from His Majesty the King, Sultan Ahmad Shah of Pahang, who was then appointed as its first Constitutional Head on 1 July 1983, after an exchange of Diplomatic Notes of co-sponsorship between the Government of Malaysia and a number of Muslim Governments and the OIC.
The university's language of instruction was to be English and Arabic, and many of its students were to come from overseas. As Malaysian law did not allow for this, IIUM was incorporated under the Companies Act of 1965. Thus it became the first international university and the first university in Malaysia to use English as the medium of instruction and administration.
The university operates under the supervision of the Board of Governors, which is composed of representatives of the OIC as well as the eight sponsoring governments, namely; Malaysia, Bangladesh, Egypt, Libya, Maldives, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Turkey the Constitutional Head, President and Rector of this university are all Malaysians.
A batch of 153 students from Malaysia and abroad were enrolled for the first academic session, which started on 8 July 1983. Courses were conducted under the Faculty of Economics, the Faculty of Laws, the Center for Fundamental Knowledge (CFK) and the Center for Languages (CFL). The members of this first batch received their degrees and diplomas during the First Convocation held on 10 October 1987. 68 graduates were conferred Bachelor of Economics (B.Econ/BECS) degrees, 56 Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degrees, and 29 Qadhis were conferred Diploma in Law and Administration of Islamic Judiciary.
To assist Asian students in studying abroad with Quality Education Options We strive to guide students with their decision for quality educational options abroad that will help them achieve their dreams. Our aim is to assist students achieve their best, professionally and personally.